Wednesday 11 April 2007

Spaghetti western blog

I may have mentioned this excellent Brasilian blog before, but thought it worth doing so again as there are now English translations of the posts. http://dollarirosso.blogspot.com/

Coincidentally I have been on a bit of a spaghetti western kick myself at the moment, having gone through the Pistole non discutono set, which I would heartily recommend to anyone with an interest in the genre. Even within the five films included, it is fascinating to see the evolution of the filone from the early, comparatively traditional / American styled Duello nel Texas and Pistole non discutono (directed by Mario Caiano, who recently cropped up here in relation to his giallo Eye in the Labyrinth) through the peak period McGregors films (which as a Scot I find fascinating, perhaps for all the wrong reasons) onto the post-Trinity comedy / parody of La Vita, a volte, è molto dura, vero Provvidenza?

Again, not giallo but still relevant, precisely because lots of those who did gialli also did westerns and it was in that genre that Argento got his break, via Leone and Once Upon a Time in the West, where he also met Bertolucci leading to his being given The Screaming Mimi and, well, the rest is history...

2 comments:

noninedaywonder said...

I just started following your blog this month. I enjoy your insight into one of my favorite genres of film. Do you have any other suggestion for good blogs about westerns? Dollarirosso hasn't updated in a long time.

B. Smith said...

I saw "They call me renegade" and wanted to know if you know of any other movies with Lisa Ann Rubin in it? this is all i could find at IMDB...http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0748106/